This post may contain affiliate links for products we love. This simply means that we may receive a commission for any purchases you make (at no cost to you).
So you want to move to the UK from Australia? There is a lot to do before you leap. It can be overwhelming. To make it easier – before you get into the details of what, when and how to relocate – remember that there are only four main things you need to do.
The simple formula of Monopoly inspires this post; the game is about luck, strategy and people skills:
- Buy property
- Build a house
- Turn a house into a hotel
How to Move to the UK from Australia
The Simple Version
Like playing Monopoly, moving from Australia to the UK is similar:
- Flip things
- Move to the UK
- Set up shop
I know it’s a little bit more complicated. Let’s get into some more detail…
The Expanded Version
1. Flip (Sell) Things Before You Leave Australia
- After deciding to live somewhere new – work out how much money you need.
- Raise money by spending less, earning more and selling stuff.
- Decide which of your possessions you will trash (sell or gift to others) or treasure (take with you, send over later or store until you return – if you plan to return).
2. Move to the UK
- Moving from Australia to the UK to live permanently is easiest if you can get citizenship from your parents or spouse or get a visa with work rights, like a UK Ancestry Visa. You can then live and work without too many restrictions until you obtain UK citizenship (if that is your goal). Otherwise, there are other visa options for Aussies to get across temporarily or permanently (eventually).
- Get a UK Ancestry Visa (what we did).
- Get ready to go by tidying up your affairs in Australia.
- When you get to the other side, plan and have a checklist. Do not underestimate this step!
- Understand what you are getting into and how to prepare for the differences in laws, local customs and lifestyle.
- Close-up shop in Australia.
- Fly across the world.
3. Set up shop
- As soon as possible after you move to the UK, do the legal things first!
- Get a permanent address.
- Enrol in school/training/education.
- Get a job.
- Manage the risks and deal with the challenges.
- Remember why you wanted to move to the UK. Enjoy your new life!
- Work, rest and play with new friends.
- Remember why you moved over (what you were excited about when you decided to move across the world).
- Remember why you left (maybe what you no longer wanted in Australia – like heat, drought, spiders, endless gum trees, ridiculous airfares to go anywhere)
We shared a dream to move to the UK for 20 years. So, when we decided to move to the UK only nine months before moving, we thoroughly researched and planned what we wanted our first 8 weeks in the UK to be like. We achieved our priority goals in our first 3 months in the UK.
Other Handy Links
Your turn. Are you thinking about moving to the UK? Please share your thoughts below in the comments.